Socrates Revival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum devoted to the free exchange of thoughts and ideas in a civil manner, free from taboos, intimidation, or censorship.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Abortion?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Neoptolemos odyssomai

Neoptolemos odyssomai

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 00:45

So what is everyones opinion on Abortion?
Back to top Go down
Socrates
Admin
Socrates

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 00:54

I believe that it is up to the mother to decide as she is carrying the child and dealing with the pain, labor, and emotions etc. I find it to be wrong in and of itself, but it is not up to me - or the government- to tell anyone what they can do with their own bodies.

The issues my view raises is that there must now be a time when the baby is considered to have it's own form. An embryo can't really be said to be a living human being yet. It doesn't even have a brain. On the contrast a woman who is eight months pregnant is carrying a (usually) fully developed being inside of her womb. I cannot however say at what point the fetus becomes a human being however.

I will say that, more pragmatically, all opinions aside being completely anti abortion is ridiculous when some pregnancies can kill the parent, the child, or both. Rape victims as well may not wish to carry the child, or the parents may be unable to afford another child. Though I don't think abortion is a good solution in the latter two cases, forbidding women from doing this with their own bodies is ridiculous and tyrannical.
Back to top Go down
https://socratesrevival.forumotion.com
Neoptolemos odyssomai

Neoptolemos odyssomai

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 00:58

Personally I don't think it is a decision that should be made by a bunch of 60 year old men and it shouldn't be used as a birth control method.

It should only be used in cases such as a woman getting impregnated from rape, or if the couple used birth control but still got pregnant or if having the baby endangers the mothers life or finally if the baby is going to be born with a major problem or isn't going to live after birth.
Back to top Go down
Socrates
Admin
Socrates

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 01:01

My question to you is what are you premises for determining it to be wrong except under those circumstances?
Back to top Go down
Neoptolemos odyssomai

Neoptolemos odyssomai

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 01:09

It is wrong to think of it to be used as a normal birth control. If you are having sex you know the risks. If you don't use protection that is your fault. I think it is wrong personally for like hookers and other people of that nature to use it and whores too.
Back to top Go down
Socrates
Admin
Socrates

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 01:11

Then my question is at what point do you believe the power of the government to dictate our choices with outcomes that do not affect others becomes too much or too little? That is if you are arguing laws concerning abortion. You moral stance is obvious I am merely questioning the legality of the matter, as it is the only thing I see as a real issue concerning this.
Back to top Go down
Neoptolemos odyssomai

Neoptolemos odyssomai

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 01:19

I believe it shouldn't be illegal but it should be monitored very carefully. You need to have a medical history and you should be drug tested and damn sure shouldn't be on well fare.
Back to top Go down
Socrates
Admin
Socrates

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 01:23

What do drugs or welfare even have to do with this? Are you saying that -since you support abortion for rape victims- a woman on welfare deserves different treatment when raped than a lawyer who is raped?
Back to top Go down
Neoptolemos odyssomai

Neoptolemos odyssomai

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 01:32

NOOOO! lol I am saying there needs to be a medical history and drug tests on the person. And people on well fare that can't support a child should be using protection.Again they know the risks. I am not saying if a woman on welfare gets rapped she shouldn't get better or worse treatment than someone else who gets raped. I am saying that a woman that is on welfare should be more carefully because she doesn't have the money to support the kid if she gets prego.
Back to top Go down
IABLCKMAN

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 02:05

Im completely and totally against abortion in any circumstance......I dont think its right for anyone to have the right to decide wether or not someone keeps there life or not in any circumstance wether its rape or just plain ole irresponsibilty........
Back to top Go down
Socrates
Admin
Socrates

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 02:08

I think most of us agree the ethics of abortion itself leave it a less then desirous course of action. My point is that passing legislation on it is also wrong because if done early in the pregnancy the woman is making a choice that doesn't affect anyone but her.

Also AblackMan, if the pregnancy is going to kill the mother and child anyway, why would you not want to atleast save the mother?
Back to top Go down
IABLCKMAN

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 02:18

well wether you or anyone else whose reading this believes or worships god or a god or not you can atleast agree that death is out of our hands so wether the mother dies or not you cant be sure of she might die she might not...kinda out of our hands she could get an abortion one day and still end up dying for some unknown reason...as for passing it in legislation...iunno to much about that
Back to top Go down
Socrates
Admin
Socrates

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 02:21

That argument is like saying we shouldn't do operations because we don't know if god wants us to or not and we don't know if someone will survive or not.
Back to top Go down
Kenny Ruff

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Response   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 03:04

Whatever happened to "family planning"?

It would make sense to just allow the mother to make that decision, wouldn't it?

If something was growing inside of your body...you would want to have the decision to leave it in or take it out, wouldn't you?
Back to top Go down
GodOfWar

GodOfWar

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime6/28/2010, 08:41

I really should point out that using god to argue politics is a moot point some what. America supposedly has a Separation of Church and State (although the fact that Huckabee was even allowed to run for the Republican's Presidential Candidate would say otherwise). Also, death isn't exactly out of our hands now. Massive advances in medicine have eliminated several diseases and viruses, and add to that our skills at organ transplants, we have much less to worry about (in Developed nations that is).

Any way on topic. I think abortion is fine if used responsibly. Instead of using it for regular birth control, just have it available for medical emergencies (including major birth defects) and rape/ incest at the patients request. It won't be forced on them unless the pregnancy put's the mother's life in jeopardy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Abortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abortion?   Abortion? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Abortion?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Socrates Revival :: Politics :: General Politics-
Jump to: