Socrates Revival
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum devoted to the free exchange of thoughts and ideas in a civil manner, free from taboos, intimidation, or censorship.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Racism vs. Efficiency

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kenny Ruff

Racism vs. Efficiency Empty
PostSubject: Racism vs. Efficiency   Racism vs. Efficiency Icon_minitime7/1/2010, 02:11

I heard this in a movie once, and I quite like it. I have too much fun with my Asian, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Guatemalan...the hell with it...Latin, Indian (oh these guys are great!), and middle eastern (These are even better!!)....now even though I have never been accused of being racist, I know that some people have, and I call people racist all the time, because it is usually true, but it makes me smile. Now...my point is...does racism = generalization? Does generalization = efficient? Does anyone see my point?
Back to top Go down
Socrates
Admin
Socrates

PostSubject: Re: Racism vs. Efficiency   Racism vs. Efficiency Icon_minitime7/1/2010, 02:19

Yes to a degree. Saying most of our immigrants and latino isn't racist, it is simply true. Saying most indians (from indian, not native americans) are elitists, is again, not racist, just true. I personally don't like political correctness. I'm not discussing stereotypes here, but the flaw in your argument is that racism does not equal generalization per se. You can be racist without really making generalizations. What more, a generalization can be made that isn't opinion or a stereotype, but simple fact (as I said with most of our immigrants being hispanic)

As far as generalizations being efficient is concerned, yes, I agree they are.
Back to top Go down
https://socratesrevival.forumotion.com
Kenny Ruff

PostSubject: Re: Racism vs. Efficiency   Racism vs. Efficiency Icon_minitime7/1/2010, 02:23

Perhaps racism equalling generalization is not necessarily what is meant...but generalization being a factor or the other way around...they fit together in my head somehow...just not sure how...but that is what happens at 1:30AM. Good night!
Back to top Go down
TheSleepingDragon

TheSleepingDragon

PostSubject: Re: Racism vs. Efficiency   Racism vs. Efficiency Icon_minitime7/1/2010, 12:41

Kenny, what do you mean by equals?
That a generalization is equivalent to efficiency?
That is far from the case. However, if you mean that generalization is an efficient way of expressing a fact about large groups of people and/or situations then that is also untrue.

I would rather say that a generalization is an efficient way of expressing common knowledge about large groups of people and/or situations. The truth of the information behind the generalization is not guaranteed by the fact that it is a generalization.

In that same vein, a generalization would not necessarily be, by definition, equivalent to a racist statement. For example, I make the following generalization about events:

"The past is doomed to repeat itself."

Unless we are of the opinion that historical events define a race, my statement cannot be rationally construed to be racist.

It is important to note that generalizations generally sacrifice accuracy for efficiency; however, it is also important to note that this sentence is a generalization if started far enough to the left.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Racism vs. Efficiency   Racism vs. Efficiency Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Racism vs. Efficiency
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Socrates Revival :: Philosophy :: Indian-
Jump to: