A forum devoted to the free exchange of thoughts and ideas in a civil manner, free from taboos, intimidation, or censorship.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Executive power

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Socrates
Admin

PostSubject: Executive power   6/26/2010, 22:16

Does anyone actually support the liberal outcries right now to punish BP without a trial or to nationalize it and it's assets? I'm hearing a lot of people say that the president should just take it over and none of them seem to realize how horribly unethical that is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://socratesrevival.forumotion.com
GodOfWar

PostSubject: Re: Executive power   6/26/2010, 22:23

Although BP really does need to take charge of this, I don't support the nationalization of the company. This could potentially alienate one of our only allies (and biggest) in the middle east right now, and it's just not a move I think will help. I'm mad at how they continue to drag their feet through this like their the victim, but if they had spent the extra money for more state of the art equipment (doesn't have to be top of the line, just not grossly out dated) this could have been prevented, and if they had acted quicker and come up with a better idea than plugging the leak with junk, then I would say that the lawsuits are a little too high. Add this to the unethical ways they've been dealing with clean up (ie, dumping dead animals back into the ocean to hide evidence, making clean up workers sign non disclosure acts so the company can cover it's tail, ect) and they've dug themselves a pretty deep hole.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GodOfWar

PostSubject: Re: Executive power   6/26/2010, 22:24

one quick thing to add, Harry Truman tried to Nationalize a steel company during the Korean war because of a strike, this move was ruled unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court, so it is improbable that Obama will do this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Socrates
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Executive power   6/26/2010, 22:28

I know it isn't likely but I've still heard people calling for it. I don't even think it was the equipment though. Considering that (give or take a few) there are 4,000 wells in the U.S. and that 700 are deepwater, (33 wells in Louisiana btw) and this is the first time we've seen such a spill (from a well), this just strikes me as a fluke that would eventually happy.

Also keep in mind BP had a safer place in mind to drill and the Obama administration told them to relocate despite the company telling them it would not be a good idea to do so.
Back to top Go down
GodOfWar

PostSubject: Re: Executive power   6/26/2010, 22:43

I remember hearing about the sanctions, but it was the tourism industry vs the oil industry in this case (big oil rigs you can clearly see off shore would kill beach vacations)

at the moment my biggest concern is whether or not the spill gets cleaned up before the hurricanes come rolling in (which is doubtful at best).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Socrates
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Executive power   6/26/2010, 23:08

I am worried about a hurricane coming while the oil is still on the surface of the water. Not ONLY because of what the mess would be like, the damage, and the all around catastrophe, but I am also worried about what the media will say when that happens and how the president's administration will react.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Executive power   

Back to top Go down

Executive power
Page 1 of 1